Monday, April 30, 2012

Hola!

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - Saint Augustine

It's time to start my adventure!  After years of dreaming and months of planning, I have finally booked a trip to Antigua, Guatemala for the upcoming summer.  Even though I've traveled to awesome places before (New York, Mexico, Toronto, Bahamas, etc.), I consider this to be my first big trip.  Why?  Because I'm going all by myself.  I'll be staying with a host family for 5 weeks and volunteering with a childcare organization.  I'll be speaking mostly Spanish, which will hopefully help improve my speaking skills.  I am BEYOND EXCITED for this trip...but also a little bit nervous.    

So, for those of you who don't already know me, here's my awkward first-blog introduction:

My name is Bridgit, I'm currently a sophomore at the University of Missouri- Columbia.  I'm a double major in journalism and Spanish.  I grew up in Nashville, Tennessee and consider myself a "southern girl."  I work at MizzouRec as a TigerX group fitness instructor teaching Zumba and other dance classes. When I grow up (which is sooner than I would like to think it is) I want to be a radio reporter, and my dream job is to work at NPR.  My favorite color is green, and my favorite things to do are reading and dancing.

So, what exactly is this blog for?  I wanted an easy way for my family and friends to see what I'm up to.  The people that will be most interested in my life will be scattered all over the globe this summer, from Missouri to Tennessee and even all the way to Russia.  Keeping a blog seemed like the best way to keep everyone updated.  Plus, it's a good way to put my journalism skills to use while I'm out of the country.

So keep reading!  I'll be posting pre-trip updates from now until I leave in July, and then as much as I can when I'm actually on the trip (internet access allowing).

Adiós for now!  



No comments:

Post a Comment