Sunday, July 29, 2012

Update

To anyone who has been awaiting a new post...I am very, very sorry for making you wait so long. Internet access has been scarce. Plus, I'm a terrible blogger. I should retroactively fail J2150.

So now to make up for that, I'll try to update you on the last 2 and a half weeks. Here's the short list of things I've done.

- Hiked up to Cerro de la Cruz, a huge hill with a beautiful view of Antigua. - Spent a lovely day relaxing on Monterrico beach on the Pacific Coast. - Climbed the Pacaya Volcano! At the top, the landscape is a lot like what I imagine Mars is like. - Went for a swim in the Lago de Atitlan, which Aldous Huxley once said is the most beautiful lake in the world. - Toured a macadamia nut farm. - Visited Tikal, one of the most spectacular Mayan Ruin sites in the world (and where 5 shots from Star Wars episode IV were shot).

And that's just in my spare time!

On weekday mornings I work at a daycare in a class of Parvulos (kindergarteners). At first, I was overwhelmed by how wild the kids are. I'm talking bookshelf-climbing, pasta-flinging crazy. But, they've really started to grow on me. A few days ago, someone taught them how greet people in English without me knowing. When I walked in that morning and they all shouted "HIIIIIIIII!," my heart melted. On top of being adorable and hilarious, they really are the best Spanish teachers, too. Kids are patient with language and speak simply. I could not have asked for a better crowd to practice speaking Spanish with.

I know that this blog is severely lacking in pictures, but never fear! I promise to post all of my awesome pics as soon as I can get them off the memory card (which will probably be after I get back to the States on Friday).

No comments:

Post a Comment